Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Quick hits: Goals and some links

  • I never did mention anything about my birthday and that should probably get taken care of. I turned 26 last week. Maybe coming into school wouldn't appear on everyone's list of things to do on a birthday, but it did feel good to teach. [Edit: Special thanks for Mi-ra and Yu-jin for the surprise birthday dinner! They said we could have whatever I wanted, so we had delicious rotisserie duck with all the trimmings and it was excellent. Those two were dedicated students in the previous teacher's class and although the class hasn't started again, they do make every effort to study English and help me with my Korean. They rock.
  • Though nothing got mentioned, the Cheorwon farewell dinner became half farewell dinner and half birthday party, so that made for a cool surprise. Lisha and the girls get special thanks here for the cake and dessert. Some students gave me presents too and I'm damned thankful for that. Thanks, everyone!   
  • The second part of "A year on the frontier" will arrive soon. It's probably going to be a long article and I don't want to rush it.
  • The second year of teaching's underway and it's off to a good start.
  • Goals for next year: 
    • Post something here more than once a week. Write more about teaching.
    • See as much of Korea and the Eastern hemisphere as possible
      • See Busan, Daegu, and get back to the east coast
    • Do more writing activities with the students
    • Get better at managing the middle school classroom
    • Take a cross-country train ride
      • I'm cheating a bit here because this will happen over the Chuseok holiday.



No comments:

Post a Comment